As dog owners, we would do just about anything if it could ensure that our furry family members live a long, happy, and healthy life. Unfortunately, we can’t always tell when something is wrong with our dogs because they can’t verbally inform us when they’re not feeling well. There are a few telltale signs that a dog requires some extra attention – one of the most obvious signs is an unhealthy weight.
Your dog’s weight can be a good indicator of everything from its immune system to its mood. Whether overweight or underweight, dogs face the risk of various complications, including a decrease in life expectancy by up to 2 years! Keep reading to discover how CBD pet products could be used as a natural method for managing a dog’s weight.
WEIGHT MANAGEMENT IN DOGS
Many dogs have some sort of weight-related issue. According to VCA Hospitals, 25-30% of the general canine population is obese. These weight issues can be caused by problems with diet, such as improper feeding portions or a mismatch in the food provided and the dog’s needs. Sometimes, underlying issues are the culprit of weight-related issues. These can range from a decreased appetite due to stress, to hormonal issues related to thyroid dysfunction.
Regardless of the cause, a dog who is not within the normal weight range for their breed can experience complications down the road. Overweight dogs are susceptible to diabetes, joint and bone issues, and heart disease. Underweight dogs may develop serious nutritional deficiencies that can lead to seizures and even kidney failure.
A dog should be weighed at least once a month to stay on top of its weight. Weight changes can often be so gradual the owner doesn’t even realize it’s happening. Of course, we recommend you always speak to your vet if you have concerns about your dog’s weight or health in general.
CBD AND DOGS: WHAT TO KNOW
Can dogs take CBD products? The general veterinarian community says yes. Dogs, like humans, possess an endocannabinoid system in their bodies that allows them to use and process cannabinoids, including CBD. So, in theory, the same effects that CBD has on us, it can have on our furry companions.
Dogs aren’t humans. They require different strengths and formulations of CBD products. Pet-friendly hemp products, such as CBD dog treats and CBD pet oil, are formulated with their unique needs in mind, offering the right strengths, dosage levels, and ingredients for their bodies.
CBD PRODUCTS FOR DOGS WITH WEIGHT MANAGEMENT ISSUES
Can CBD actually do anything for a pet’s weight? Well, here’s what the studies have to say:
- Study #1: CBD seems to play a role in regulating the function of appetite. This means that if a dog is either eating too much or eating too little, Cannabidiol might be able to help by balancing the way in which appetite operates. Appetite can be impacted by a lot of issues, ranging from physical pain to digestive health, and another frequently overlooked cause for both low and unusually high appetite is mood-related problems.
- Study #2: CBD binds with CB2 receptors that determine fat storage. This means cannabinoids may be able to play a role in helping fats in the body break down to lower body weight. This could potentially help with dogs who are overweight, especially from overeating.
BEFORE ADMINISTERING CBD PRODUCTS TO YOUR DOG
We are so glad that we were able to introduce you to some fantastic dog-friendly CBD products at Pinnacle Hemp and how CBD could help with your dog’s weight-related issues. Before starting a dog on a cannabidiol routine, please note these 6 things:
- Have a conversation with your veterinarian as they’re authorized to give medical advice, and we are not. They can help you come up with a routine that meets the unique demands of your canine companion.
- Ask the vet about any possible medication interactions with CBD products relevant to your dog.
- Follow the instructions on the label to ensure that you’re giving your dog CBD in the proper manner, in terms of dosage and frequency.
- Monitor your pet during the first two weeks of giving them CBD.
- CBD needs to build up in the body before it’s fully effective.
- Allow for a few weeks before deciding if any changes need to be made to your dog’s regimen.
If your pet is struggling to maintain a healthy weight, you might want to incorporate CBD pet products into its routine. Talk to your veterinarian about using the CBD products that are available at Pinnacle Hemp, as they were formulated specially with dogs’ unique needs in mind.